All the best for your trip to Europe. I hope you enjoy all the 6 or so months you have there. You asked for my packing list so here are my thoughts. They may not be the best of thoughts but a useful collection of things to keep in mind.
I’d start with the basics….
- your 5D (I think yours is the mk2)
- a good collection of CF cards – each one labelled with e-mail and numbered so as not to cause confusion
- 24-105 f/4 or 24-70 f/2.8
- a fixed big aperture lens – 50 f/1.4 would be good – for shooting at night, in galleries and isolating parts of a scene.
- if you have something wide then take it as well something like the 17-40 can be good
- a small telephoto (you are not going to use it much but it can come in handy when walking the streets of a city
That’s 4 lenses above. Carrying all would be a chore but after a week or so you’ll have an idea what 2 you are going to pack into your bag for any particular day.
- A small discrete camera bag. For security something you can put at waist level rather than on your back. Think of something that will take your body and two lenses (one fitted). It can also be used to carry souvenirs and other nick knacks.
- A polariser for getting those deep blue Grecian Skies.
- An ND400 filter to have some fun.
- A cable release (the ND 400 will need to be used with one).
- A “bag” for support – perhaps find a small zippered cloth bag – I’m thinking a small clothes delicates bag that you can fill with foam packing peanuts when you are over there – you can use a Velcro strap to attach it to your camera bag strap when walking around – total weight a few grams.
- Steal a hotel shower cap – it makes a good impromptu rain cover.
- A spare battery.
- Your battery charger – don’t forget to pack it when you are moving between hotels.
- Rocket blower stored inside a clean plastic bag.
- A small microfibre cloth.
- Something to transfer photos to and cloud storage to keep them safe.
- Leave the battery grip at home.
- If your camera bag gets wet let it dry thoroughly over a heater – any foam in it will retain moisture.
- If something happens you have a credit card and places to shop.
I think that’s about it. Have fun and I look forward to seeing the results.